11 toukokuuta, 2014

Arthur Conan Doyle: A Study in Scarlet

IN the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army.

A Study in Scarlet (1887)
Arthur Conan Doyle
Kindle, 2010, ja äänikirjana
136 sivua
sarja: Sherlock Holmes #1


Gutenberg-palvelusta (kai...)
GR: 4/5 tähteä
★★★½

The first Sherlock Holmes story that I have been wanting to read since childhood when I couldn't find the book from our library. Now I read (and listened to) it in English. It probably made the older language a bit more understandable but I am still not a fan of audiobooks.

Having seen the new Sherlock series I already could guess some aspects of the plot so it didn't really surprise me. I think some of the later stories are better than this. Also I didn't particularly like the decision to divide the story in two parts but I guess you can't be perfect from the start when you almost invent a whole new genre, so I rounded up to four stars. After all this was the story that introduced us to Mr Sherlock Holmes.

"Populus me sibilat, at mihi plaudo Ipse domi simul ac nummos contemplar in arca.'"

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Kommentti ilahduttaa aina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...