02 elokuuta, 2014

Doris Lessing: Adore

Adore, 2003
(The Grandmothers)
Doris Lessing
Novelli, ~70 sivua, osa kokoelmasta


Nobel-voittaja 2007
Kirjastosta
GR: 4/5
★★★★½


Yes, I admit, I saw the movie and wanted to read the book next, or the novella in this case. I had never even heard of it before and would have thought that I would read On Cats from Lessing before anything else. This isn't even the right edition, so it messes up my page count (that one had four stories and I am not interested in them at the moment). Oh, well...

So I liked the story, hardly a surprise there, considering that I already knew what was going to happen. It had weird, even a bit disturbing relationships but I like weird, it makes things interesting. I am not sure if I like Lessing's writing, though. I read this in English and haven't read anything else from her before so I might be missing something. I wasn't always sure what she meant by some sentences, but then again, I usually like when everything isn't spelt out. I also both liked and disliked the ending. I would have liked to read more about them but I also like open endings because then I can "write" my own. I guess I just can't have it both ways.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Kommentti ilahduttaa aina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...